Monday, June 18, 2012

Maintaining Amish Furniture




How to maintain Amish furniture is a subject that many people think about after they acquire a lovely new dining room table and chair set. I hadn't thought much about furniture maintenance until my new Amish trestle table was sitting in my huge kitchen and my family was using it every day. Then it dawned on me that I'd better find out what to do so that I can keep it looking good a long, long time.





I did some research online and found out that the finish on most new Amish furniture is called "conversion varnish" and that it's pretty much indestructible.





Here's what I read on the website of one manufacturer, "Clear conversion varnish is a high performance, water clear, non-yellowing catalyzed varnish, with a proven track record in industrial use for high quality cabinets, furniture and fixtures." That sounds good to me! I like the fact that the finish on my table is hard and durable.





But then I began to wonder how to take care of my Amish trestle table which is finished with conversion varnish so that it is protected from daily use in my kitchen. What I learned was a little bit surprising, so don't be surprised if you are surprised now, too, because we've all heard commercials on TV and heard our friends talk about using furniture polish, wax and oil to maintain quality furniture.





Turns out, conversion varnish completely seals the wood, making polish, wax and oil unnecessary. They just sit on the surface of the finished wood and do not penetrate at all. You can get a temporary shine until the polish evaporates, and you might get a nice smell in the room if your furniture polish is scented, but that's about it. You will not get any additional protection for your furniture by polishing, waxing or oiling it.





And remember, there is still an enormous amount of antique wooden furniture in the world, in museums and in private homes, especially on other continents such as Europe and China for example. Over the centuries that antique furniture was never finished with conversion varnish, or treated with modern cleansers or with silicone, and yet much of it is still beautiful and useful. New, improved furniture treatments are not necessary for your Amish furniture today.





Wood feels hard to the touch, but it responds to care and treatment just as it did as a living plant once upon a time. Caring for your new Amish furniture includes:





1) Protecting with place mats and coasters to avoid scratching and moisture damage.





2) Dusting with the grain not against the grain of the wood;





3) Washing gently with plain soap and water and drying immediately with a towel.





4) Minding your mama, don't put your feet up on the desk or the table!


No comments:

Post a Comment